Self-improvement is the improvement of one’s knowledge, status, or character through one’s own efforts. It’s the quest to make yourselves better in any and every part of life. No matter what you are pursuing, self-improvement is a critical part of your progress and happiness. To learn how to self-improve, you need to find direction. You can do that by creating clear, actionable goals as part of a self-improvement plan.
Two Types of Self-Improvement
When looking at improving yourself it is important to understand the two types of self-improvement. One is Your internal improvement and the second is your external improvement.
If you really looking for improving yourself, I will say internal improvement is more important than external improvement. Your improvement should start from inside to outside. This means changing yourself internally first. Internal improvement means improvement of your habits, thought patterns, confidence, beliefs, learned skills, and behaviors.
External Improvement is the kind of improvement that focuses on money, fitness, credentials, status, friends, etc. When you start improving your internal things your external things automatically start improving.
Why You Need Self-Improvement?
There are many reasons to improve yourself.
- The first reason is that it can help you in becoming a better version of yourself, and improve your relationships, your business, or your job.
- The second reason is that self-improvement can often present you with new opportunities. When you improve yourself, it helps you to grow and growth eventually leads to new opportunities.
- Furthermore, this will help to increase your self-esteem to higher levels. Having both focus and confidence is ultimately the starting point to following your dreams.
How to Self-Improve
One of the most effective ways to find out how you can improve is to ask the people around you and try to figure out what are your strengths and weaknesses. There are some steps and tips for Self-Improvement.
Steps to Self-Improvement
1. Identify the Goals.
If you don’t have specific goals, then identify the goals that you want to accomplish. Make a list of your goals of areas in which you want to improve.
2. Establish Why With the Goals.
Establishing why with the Goals means finding the purpose behind your goals? This is a critical question to ask yourself. It’s easy to say, “I want to do this and do that” but why? Self-improvement is meaningless if you have no why behind it. Like why you are searching and reading Self Improvement Blogs? Obviously your why is to improve yourself. So, establish the why with your goals and determine what will ultimately bring you the most fulfillment.
Tips for Self-Improvement
- Early Wake-Up: You should wake up early in the morning around 5 AM. Because when you wake up early around 5 AM in the morning, most people are busy in sleep. This is the best time to connect with the universe. Your Subconscious Mind is more active in the morning. You will find most successful people wake up early in the morning. So, make the morning routine of waking up early around 5 AM or before.
- Yoga and Exercise: You must do yoga and exercise in the morning for at least 20 minutes. Exercise and yoga release some good chemicals that are good for the body and brain both. Exercise releases endorphins that give positive energy and positive vibes to you. Yoga and exercise not only improve the externally it also helps you in improving internally.
- Meditation: Meditation is also part of yoga. But I recommend you do 10 to 20 minutes of meditation after exercise and yoga. If you do have not much time, do it for 5 minutes only. Meditation is the tool that connects you with the universe. This is the source that allows you to know yourself and improve your entire life.
- Journal: Everyone should have a habit of writing. After yoga and meditation, this is the best time for writing something. Because at that time more ideas come into your mind. Whatever is coming into your mind just write it down in your journal. Keep writing about dreams. Writing is something that gives more power to your imagination. Give yourself a few minutes for writing also. Make it your morning ritual.
- Reading Habit: If you really want to improve yourself make a habit of reading. You can read some good articles and books. Learning adds good things to your life. It is the symbol of living.
- Eat Mindfully: Eating the correct food is also vital to ensure that you feel fresh, energized, and empowered to reach your targets and goals. Your meal should be more healthy and full of nutrition and proteins. Take some fruit and juice in the morning. Your dinner should be before 4hrs of sleep. You should also allow yourself a cheat day once a week as this will help to curb those cravings and can also be treated as your reward for achieving a strong healthy week.
- Change the way you think: If you think negatively and always doubt yourself then change the way you think. Your attitude should be positive in any situation and self-belief is more important.
- Learn a new skill: Expanding your skillset pushes your brain to make new neural connections. When you master something new, you discover that you can master even more.
- Time Management: This is the best way to achieve your targets and goals. Break down what you need to do the night before and slot in your objections across a timescale.
- Step out of your Comfort Zone: Try something you have never tried before, perhaps a new activity of some kind, and challenge yourself to push the barriers.
Read more Self Improvement Blogs: Miracle Morning Routine, 7 High-Performance Habits of Successful People, 10 Minute Meditation for Beginners, and click here for more.
Saurabh Goel is the Founder and CEO of the Training and Counselling Company ‘Brain Soul & You’. He is an NLP Wellness Coach, Life Coach, Brain analyst, and Trainer for Education, Corporate, and Entrepreneurship. For more than 5 years, he delivered presentations on entrepreneurship, mind programming, and motivation. He did his B.tech in IT and later choose to be a successful psychologist.